The Missing Sync® for BlackBerry - Version 2.0 Release Notes
Be sure to backup your data prior to synchronization. In iCal, select "Back up iCal" from the "File" menu. In Address Book, select "Export / Address Book Archive" from the "File" menu.
The current device application can be downloaded direct to the device from:
Instructions on installing the device application if your device does not have network access are available at:
NOTE: The Missing Sync must first be installed on your BlackBerry before you can sync!
Changes in version 2.0.3:
- Improved Snow Leopard Compatibility.
- Fixed an issue that could cause some duplication of data within contacts.
- Fixed an issue so that phone calls received during an active sync will now sync via Call Log.
- Enabled File > Update Supported Device List.
- Improved Notebook memory management.
- Selective sync settings are now maintained after resetting sync history.
- Fixed an event problem that would cause "Calendar modify failed" errors.
- Solved a problem where folder sync would copy all files every sync over Bluetooth.
- Improved photo import behavior when switching between Bluetooth and USB.
Changes in version 2.0.2:
- Notes plugin now has Mac overwrites device and device overwrites Mac options.
- All day, multi-day events sync more consistently over USB.
- Fixed a problem causing duplicate calendars on a refresh sync.
- Fixed time zone issues that were causing shifting calendar events.
- Backup of the user's iCal, Address Book, and Mark/Space Notebook data on first launch of Missing Sync.
- Fixed a problem that prevented Missing Sync from running on some devices.
- Fixed repeating event problems with BlackBerry OS 4.6.
- Birthdays were syncing as 24-hour events instead of all-day events in certain time zones.
- Missing Sync reviews records prior to synchronization and skips and logs records that are are not supported on the device.
- Now prevents Proximity Sync from launching Missing Sync and coming to the front when the device is not available.
- Fixed plugin profile settings issues.
- SMS and Call Log displays are more reliable, work with recent iTunes changes.
- Force device calendar to "keep events forever" to prevent calendar item deletions on Mac (USB sync only).
- Improved "Check for Update" options.
- Bluetooth pairings are retained after upgrading.
- Yojimbo notes fixes.
- Improved performance on low-memory Macs.
- The Sync button will be enabled if there are files to install (even if all the plugins are disabled).
- Ensures that a first sync merges data (some scenarios were incorrectly causing a Mac overwrite device).
- Fixed a problem with birthdays that occurred with older time zones (ie, Amsterdam 1926 was GMT+19:32).
- Fixed a problem where the virtual keyboard on the Storm would block part of the Missing Sync user interface.
- Fixed a problem where all day events spanning multiple days were shifting dates and loosing duration.
- Handheld task due date changes now sync to the desktop.
- Fixed a problem that caused the logging of invalid events on every sync if the date filter was enabled.
- Fixed a problem where a yearly repeating event was off by a month after the first instance (USB sync only).
Changes in version 2.0.1:
- All new Setup Assistant.
- Improved data handling to reduce sync conflicts.
- Fixed a problem that caused an error on the Storm and other newer devices: "DeviceException: Device error: Error reading record from device."
- Fixed a problem that caused the error "Device error: Caught exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException."
- More reliable data handling when choosing to sync selected calendars, contact groups, or task and memo categories.
- Fixed a problem switching from selected items to syncing all items.
- Contact URL field now syncs when synchronizing with a BlackBerry Bold.
- Fixed a problem when synchronizing SMS Log and received the error "Device sms_log database is empty. Switching to overwrite mode."
- Data contained in custom contact fields is not supported.
- Fixed a problem where certain special characters could be deleted during sync.
- Improved error reporting in the Sync History.
- Fixed a problem where a task priority was changing from None to Important.
- Fixed a problem where the initial sync of tasks resulted in sync conflicts.
- Missing Sync device application no longer quits on "SMS Listener" errors when a 3rd party SMS app is blocking database access.
- Missing Sync device application no longer quits on launch if the user has deleted the Tasks or MemoPad applications from the BlackBerry, or file access permissions are not set properly.
- Fixed a problem that would cause a connection error when upgrading from version 1.0 to version 2.0.
- Updated the Getting Started section of Help.
First Synchronization Via USB - The first synchronization with a device must be done over USB. Subsequent syncs can be done via USB or Bluetooth. USB is much faster and recommended for media, file, and large data synchronizations.
Unicode Characters - Unicode characters cannot be read from the device via USB in Contact and Calendar records. Accent marks are fine, but 2-byte character sets like Japanese or Greek cause synchronization errors. We hope to have a fix for this in the near future. A temporary workaround is to synchronize the device once via USB using only the Notes plugin and then subsequently via Bluetooth using whatever plugins you want.
Time Zone - To avoid synchronizing inccorrect event times, be sure the time zone settings on both the Mac and BlackBerry are set to the same time zone.
8100 Series Devices Running 18.104.22.168 - Very early Pearls running 22.214.171.124 cannot install the device application via an SD memory card. You must install the device application via the device browser application over the internet.
Eject Card Before Disconnecting USB Cable - If the device is set to appear on the Mac desktop (ie, mass storage mode is on), be sure to eject the device before disconnecting the USB cable or you can corrupt the device's SD memory card. You can eject it in either The Missing Sync or the Finder. The Missing Sync preferences include an option to eject the card after synchronizing and/or on quitting The Missing Sync.
Fast User Switching - If synchronizing multiple Macintosh user accounts while using fast user switching, you must quit the "Missing Sync for BlackBerry Background" application using Activity Monitor before switching user accounts.
Using VMWare or Parallels - If synchronizing your BlackBerry using VMWare or Parallels along with The Missing Sync, you must quit The Missing Sync and then quit the "Missing Sync for BlackBerry Background" application using Activity Monitor prior to using those applications.
Conflicts with Other Sync Software - Missing Sync for BlackBerry is not compatible with PocketMac for BlackBerry or RIM's BlackBerry Media Sync applications. The Missing Sync installer will disable those applications.
Duplicate Records - While Missing Sync tries to avoid creating duplicate records, sometimes they are unavoidable, especially when records have been moved between devices, desktop computers, and third-party applications. Please read the following support article for more information: http://www.markspace.com/support/kb.php?id=557
Option to Delete Old Records - By default, some BlackBerry models automatically delete calendar records older than 60 days. This can cause Missing Sync to delete old calendar records on your Mac during two-way synchronization. To turn off this option on the device, open the Calendar application, click on the menu key and select Options / General Options, and set the "Keep Appointments" value to "Forever". The Calendar plugin in the Missing Sync's Macintosh application has a similar option you can use instead which works better.
Large Media Files - If you are copying large media files to/from the device, we suggest you use USB and turn on USB "mass storage" support on the device. In Options/Media Card or Options/Memory, turn on: Media Card Support, Mass Storage Mode Support, and Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected. Turn off Encryption.
Application Permissions - Make sure that the Missing Sync device application has the permissions it needs to run. You can set permissions when you install the application or later by going to Options/Security Options/Application Permissions/Missing Sync. Then hit the Menu key and select Edit Permissions. Set everything to Allow.